Tuesday, December 6, 2011

De profundis

 De profundis


Have mercy on all that is lost

because they say that it was written that way 

and in the grave is made earth 

without asking why!


Have mercy on them, have mercy on me,

on me who seeks answers 

- with a loving heart, oh my God - 

In those things that make no sense ...


As soon as I glimpse something 

to guide me from darkness to light, 

my destiny throws me back into 

my deep and cold night ...


Have mercy, my God, on my hopelessness, 

have mercy on the flame that I spill in vain, 

have mercy on me, exasperated, 

of living without a goal, of living without reason


(Version taken from the Arquitrave Magazine)



 On January 7, 1944, the Greek poet Napoleon Lapathiotis voluntarily ended his life. Lapathiotis lived most of his 56 years in poverty and scandalized Greek society for his gay lifestyle, his addiction to opium and his sympathy for communism.


The discomfort caused by the lifestyle of the poet is presented in the movie "Meteor and shadow" Directed by Takis Spetsiotis




No comments:

Post a Comment