Monday, June 27, 2011

Exhausted I dreamed of the pleasure that arises

 Exhausted I dreamed of the pleasure that arises


Exhausted I dreamed of the pleasure that arises,

but lives without me, as it shines and passes:

its rush to burn delays

and subtracts me from what within me devours.


Detached from me who falls in love

and in its fire absorbed the scarce life,

I am the sterile residue of its embers

and death wins me from now on.


What happens for me is not equaled

nor restored after it appears;

I am only its absence, which remains.


Oh death, idle for the past,

your shadow is vast and the occasion and the nest

of the defect that I am of what I have been.


Jorge Cuesta, Córdoba (Veracruz) 1903 - Mexico City 1942



On August 13, 1942, the Mexican poet, Jorge Cuesta left his life after finding the exit in the sheets of his bed with which he hung himself. 

Cuesta was admitted to a mental health asylum  for having relapsed into a paranoia crisis that he had already faced with success two years ago.

He was 38 years old and in life he never saw any of his books published.



No comments:

Post a Comment