Sunday, July 5, 2009

Ai-je bien pu vivre deux mois et demi sans toi?

I'll kill myself tomorrow, unable to stand existence without the woman who had been my sole joy, the only happiness in my life. For the last two and a half months I have struggled; today I am at the edge. I don't have much hope to see her again, but who knows? At least I am plunging into the void where one no longer suffers. I wish to be buried (this is my formal wish) in the tomb that I have had built in the Ixelles cemetery for my dear Marguerite, the vault which I own. My body should be placed in the central resting place just above her. And never, for any reason, must I be placed in the highest chamber. I ask that her portrait and a lock of her hair, which I will have on me when I die, be placed in my coffin, which should be as similar as possible to that of my dearest Marguerite's. On the tombstone, below my dearest Marguerite's inscription, in the same characters and the same style of writing, write these words: "Georges, 29th of April, 1837 - 30th of September, 1891: Ai-je bien pu vivre deux mois et demi sans toi?"
General Georges Boulanger, who, on the verge of becoming dictator of France, relinquished his power to care for his dying lover, Marguerite. Two months after her death, he shot himself at her grave site.



No comments:

Post a Comment